Friday, March 30, 2012

Seven Quick Takes - The what's next edition and some added randomness


1. Race pictures . . .

I have never purchased race pictures before, but caved this time . . .
 I love the pictures with my boy!! 

2.  I have taken the last two weeks fairly easy.  Letting my body rest and formulating a plan.
 My plan:
- Running down to 3 or 4 days a week, adding speed work
- Cross training with a combination of Chalean Extreme and Insanity, and hitting the gym until I get rid of my membership

I have The Iron Girl Columbia Half Marathon and the Frederick Half Marathon one week a part from each other in a month.  I would love to PR at one, but we will see how my body feels.  It seemed like it took me months to recover from my last marathon. So far I feel great running and am getting back up to speed.

3. Speaking of speed . . . I want to get faster. I have said that before.  I wrote a post about it last year at this time, but like I said in #2, I feel like my body handled this marathon better and I am recovering more quickly, so building speed may actually happen this year!

4. The weight of the issue.  
Building speed is not just about running faster and doing speed work.  The plain fact has stared me in the face for too long.  To run faster, I also need to reduce my weight.  I am about 10 lbs away from my ideal weight.  That is not a "racing weight" but more like a realistic weight that is closer to my racing weight.  I have read Racing Weight and do not feel I need to get down to my racing weight, as defined by the book.  I have spent the past two weeks just getting my eating back down to normal levels from the "eating more food than you think is humanly possible."  Next step, time to eliminate some of these unnecessary pounds.  Thanks to Colleen's great idea, I think I will add a tab to my blog to catalogue workouts and meals . . . I need the accountability. 

5. Last week I mentioned I wanted to run another marathon.  Well, this week I was so close to registering for a Charity team for the MCM (which is this October).  Luckily, logic and reason intervened.  I am not sure what I was thinking . . . I do want to run another marathon, but I do not think my body could handle another one this year.

6. Livin' like a college student . . . we have been staying up way too late this week.  Between researching ticks online (don't ask), reading and late night talks with my hubby, I have been up way too late each night this week.  Every morning my husband and I say, "Not again tonight." And each night we stay up til passed 11 PM.  I am officially tired and really need to get to bed early tonight!

7. One Thousand Gifts
I do not usually read a book more than once.  But, I am reading One Thousand Gifts again.  I started a book group that is reading it.  I have to admit, I love this book more the second time around.  There have been sentences that I have read this time and thought, "How did I miss that the first time?"  This really is a must read book.

Have a great weekend everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Katie, losing those ten pounds will make running so much easier and speedier for you. Not that I think you need to lose it (Miss Size 6!). But I ran my second half weighing ten pounds more than my first half....and I was ten minutes slower. One minute per pound! Just after losing these 6ish pounds, I feel so much lighter and more energized when I run. But it's so much freakin' hard work to lose the weight and eating treats is a source of joy for me, so I'm not sure how much longer I can last. Especially after Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a good choice to get the race photos this time around. They are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of running The Iron Girl Columbia Half Marathon or the Frederick Half Marathon. Did you run any of them before? Can you recommend one or the other? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your running outfit!! That is so fun!

    And Jason and I have been staying up waaaay too late since daylight savings time started. We never really adjusted, we just moved out wakeup/bedtime one hour later. But that means I don't get up until 8 with the kids, but Jason has to get up at 6:30 for work. He must be dying by now!! But I guess there are worse things than staying up late because you enjoy your husbands company, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing a little catching up. Congrats on your marathon! I'm so jealous (in a good way). Looks like it was fun and I love the medal too. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete