Friday, April 20, 2012

Seven Quick Takes- Randomness and a Tale of Two Halfs


1.  I do not like the new Blogger!  I miss the old format.

2. I read this blog post at (in)courage this morning.  Escaping the rut of want.  Boy, did it speak to me today.  The past few weeks have been hard spiritually and emotionally and I can totally identify with what Lysa shared in that post.  I have thrown temper tantrums in hopes to get God to see it my way. Do it my way. And it is embarrassing to admit that.  I would have hoped, by now, that I would be more spiritually mature than that, but I, shamefully, am not.  God is still working on this child of His.  And I pray He does each and every day.

3.  A few weeks ago we went to see October Baby.  I loved the movie and suggest that everyone see it.  It is powerful.  And I loved the music too.  I downloaded the soundtrack the day it was released on iTunes.  My favorite song is Life is Beautiful by The Afters.  Listen to it.  I was playing it while typing this post and once the song was over, my 5 year old said, "Play it again, Mom.  Don't you know we like that song?"



4. I run two half marathons a week a part next weekend and the weekend after that.  I thought my reasoning, at the time of registration, was sound.  I would have just run a marathon, so I would be race ready to run two halfs in a row.  But, I am not sure what I was thinking, again (did this last year after my first marathon, too . . . you would have thought I would have learned my lesson).  While I have bounced back from this marathon much better than the first, I am still not back to normal.  I have been having thyroid issues again (which are leveling out now) and I can tell my body has not fully recovered yet.  So, I am just going to try to have fun with these two halfs.  No PR pressure.  Just run.

5.  Anyone know how to interpret elevation charts?  I cannot.  These two halfs are both hilly, but can anyone tell me which one is more hilly? I think it is the Iron Girl Half.

Columbia Iron Girl Half

Frederick Half


6. What to learn?
My personal trainer certification is up pretty soon.  I need to complete so many hours of CECs before the fall.  But, I am not sure what classes to take.  If you were me, what would you like to learn about physical fitness and personal training?  Or, if I were your personal trainer, what new exercises would you like me to know so that I can get you in the best shape of your life?

7.  New diet.
I have not updated my eating tab yet, but I have given up all grains and have done so for several weeks (with the exception of Easter).  And I love it.  The few times I have eaten grains (especially wheat) in the last few weeks, I have felt bloated and gross.  I am working my way to implementing this style of eating with the whole family.  My hubby is on board and I think it will be great for all of us.  My goal is to transition us all to more of a Paleo diet by the end of May.  Pray for us!

Have a great weekend everyone!




5 comments:

  1. My husband is a huge Primal eater and it has changed his life! No grains and VERY limited sugar and he feels awesome. I am aspiring to be like him, but in baby steps. Congrats to you though, please share how you implement it with your entire family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first one is way hillier (is that a word?) and you are so crazy! But fun! Good luck on those two halfs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, I think the Iron Girl will be hillier ~ but also think those charts are hard to read. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly I have NO idea how to read those charts! I have for the most part given up grains too.. once in a while I do eat them. Def feel bloated. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep forgetting to comment but regarding your CEC quandrum, may I suggest some classes on working with people who have conditions like fibromyalgia, lupus, RA, and MS? I have fibro and I think it would be helpful to have a personal trainer who understands how to work with it.

    ReplyDelete