Friday, June 13, 2014

7 Quick Takes - My world, our adoption auction preview, and adoption insomnia


I feel like I am living a strange reality lately.  Ever since we were matched with Felicity, it has felt as if time could not move fast enough; come on October!  Yet, at the same time, I feel as if someone has hit the fast forward button and things are moving so much quicker than normal.  Some of the sensations are very similar to when I was pregnant with my other kids but, oh, so different too.

1. Adoption Insomnia
I used to get horrible insomnia when I was pregnant with my boys.  I remember sitting in the hallway of our house at 3 AM just praying I would get a couple hours of restful sleep.  And now is no different.  I am not sure if adoption insomnia is such a thing. But, I think the fact that I am writing this post at 1AM is solid evidence supporting my claim.

2. Nesting
Did you nest?  When pregnant, I would have what I would call the "11th hour nesting".  I would be about three weeks from my due date and I would start to nest.  I would declutter, weed the flower beds, paint, move rooms, etc.  And, although we are still about 4 months away from getting Felicity, I am in full nesting mode.  I have gotten rid of 4 big boxes of books to sell.  I have about 6 bags of boys clothes we no longer need, waiting to be donated.  I have started to paint one bedroom and plan on painting another before we take off to China.  So, yes, nesting is no different for the adoptive mom and the pregnant mom.

3. Adoption Auction Preview . . .
One of the things we have decided to do for a fundraiser is an online auction.  It will occur mid-July and I am still in the process of seeking donations, but can I just tell you that I am giddy excited about the items we have so far!!  If we were not adopting right now, and using this auction to raise money for it, I would totally be bidding on ALL of the items!!

So let me just share a little of what will be in the auction . . .
China Print from Sunshine for Grace

Tea Towel from Big White Farm House

Felicity necklace from Full of Grace, Divine Designs 

Necklace of choice from Love Blooms Eternal

Garden flag of choice from Palmetto Stitch Company

Necklace of choice from Call Her Happy

Sacred Heart of Jesus, Immaculate Heart of Mary Scapular from Mary Devotions

And this is not even all of it!!  I will have to share stories behind some of these items as we get closer to the auction, but it has been such a blessing to see God move through the auction so far.

To stay up to date on the auction, please go to the auction's page on Facebook at 
The auction will take place mid-July. I will post updates as we get closer.

4. And there is still time to donate an item to the auction! 
 If any readers want to donate, or if you know of someone who might want to help out by donating an item, please email me at katiepetko (at) yahoo (dot) com.

5. All my kids in one picture . . .


I cannot wait for a REAL family portrait!!

6.  Run for the Little Flowers update

A 7 Quick Takes  post would not be complete without talking about the run.  I had thought about NOT doing the run this year, but, truthfully,that just did not feel right. 

All I have to share right now is that it WILL happen this year (September 6th, tentatively), the money raised will be split between Little Flower Projects and our adoption fund and a the t-shirt design will be coming SOON! 

7.  Asking for prayers for these twins . . .


If you have read my blog for ANY length of time, you have seen their faces many times.  They used to be with Little Flower Projects, and now they are with New Day Foster Home. I may have mentioned, in a silly way, that I would have loved to adopt them.  And I did. I really did. While we were in process and close to being LID (when we could get matched), our agency did look into these boys to see if there was any possibility that we could get matched with them.  Without going into the details of how China adoptions work, we were told that it would not be possible, at all.  And, I was totally at peace with that.  It was about two months before we were matched with Felicity, and I was pretty certain that they would be matched with a family before we were matched ourselves. And that became my prayer.  Except, they weren't.  And, they are still not listed as matched on New Day's website.  It breaks my heart.  These two little guys just celebrated their second birthday, without a family.  So, please pray with me that they get a forever family soon!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Thanks, Kathryn, for hosting!

2 comments:

  1. Baby Waiting insomnia is the worst! I'm so excited for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Katie, you NAILED it on the pregnancy/adoption similarities! Nesting & sleepless over here in KS.... <3, Stacey

    ReplyDelete